Legal Accounts Assistant
Closing date: 31 January 2019
The working hours of the role will be Monday to Friday 9am to 5.15pm.
Neves is a Legal 500 Law Firm, with offices in Milton Keynes, Luton and Harpenden.
We have provided quality legal services for over 150 years to private and business clients.
Working with us
The firm understands the importance of a good work-life balance and has a proven track record of retaining quality employees by offering opportunities for development and progression. Our website provides a number of employee testimonials to give you a flavour of what it is like to work at Neves.
The position offers a competitive salary with a range of benefits including pension, childcare vouchers, life assurance, an additional day’s holiday for your birthday, free conveyancing for your own sale and purchase and a free Will. The Milton Keynes office has the additional benefit on an in-house restaurant and on-site car parking.
We are looking to recruit a Legal Accounts Assistant to work in our Accounts department which is based in Milton Keynes. It is essential that the candidate has an understanding of the principles of accounting and experience of working in a legal accounts environment is preferable.
Main Purpose of Job:
- To maintain the accounting records of the firm to ensure compliance with the SRA Accounts Rules.
- To operate and monitor the online banking system and card payment facility.
- To maintain the nominal and purchase ledgers and petty cash records.
- To deal with VAT and PAYE and ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
- To assist fee earners and support staff with financial queries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Monitor the online banking system regularly and ensure that all receipts of client money are notified to fee earners and their departments and recorded in the firm’s accounting records promptly;
- Post to the accounting records and transmit all electronic payments in a timely manner;
- Prepare client and office account bank reconciliations on a daily basis;
- Post bills and carry out client to office transfers on a daily basis;
- Process card payments from clients in person or over the telephone;
- Maintain the breaches register and keep the COLP, COFA and Directors of the business up-to-date on all entries on the register;
- Maintain and update nominal and purchase ledgers and petty cash transactions;
- Assist in the preparation of VAT returns;
- Assist in the monthly processing of payroll;
- Assist fee earners and support staff with financial queries;
- Liaise with auditors;
- Carry out ad-hoc duties as requested from time to time by the Finance Director or Practice Director.
Skills and Attributes
- Understanding of principles of accounting;
- Knowledge of legal accounts procedures;
- Ability to use an online banking system;
- Numerate and accurate;
- Good communication and organisational skills;
- Demonstrates persistence and commitment to completing tasks and objectives;
- Delivers output to the highest standard;
- Ability to prioritise;
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Excellent communication;
- Able to use initiative;
- A commitment to maintain a high standard of customer service
- Steadiness under pressure;
- Reliable and dependable;
- Flexible approach to work;
- Positive attitude, can-do attitude.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter to Amanda Lawrence, firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately due to the expected high level of response to this role we can only respond to candidates selected for interview.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Neves Solicitors LLP is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.