If you are approaching a solicitor about a family issue, the chances are you are probably going through a really difficult period in your life. When making any other purchase that you are likely to spend a lot of money on, like a new car or the latest phone, you would likely spend hours doing your homework. Would you spend the same amount of time choosing a solicitor?
A solicitor could end up being one of the biggest investments you make and so it is important that you are happy with your choice. Here's some practical advice for anybody who finds themselves in need of a solicitor and not knowing where to start looking.
Tips for Choosing a Family Solicitor
- First, ask for recommendations from family and friends. If nobody you know has personal experience of a family lawyer, check out independent feedback platforms such as Google reviews. These reviews are left directly by former clients for the benefit of others.
- Do your research. Look at firms’ websites. Many law firms will offer lots of helpful resources on their website that could help you moving forwards.
- Next, pick up the phone to any firms that catch your eye. See if you can speak to the solicitor who would be dealing with your matter when you make that initial call. Almost any family lawyer you speak to will have knowledge of the same practice areas and can give you similar advice, so concentrate on working out whether you feel you would trust and get along with your solicitor. A lot of information, sometimes personal and sensitive, will be exchanged during the course of your dealings with a solicitor and you need to make sure you are confiding in somebody who you feel you can trust.
- Many clients come to a firm of solicitors with a view of the sort of solicitor they would like to instruct. If you would like to deal with matters in an amicable fashion, consider instructing a solicitor who is a member of Resolution - a body of Family Justice professionals committed to resolving disputes in a manner that takes into account the needs of the whole family. There is a ‘Find a Solicitor’ feature at www.resolution.org.uk
- Finally, the best way to decide whether you have made the right decision is to book an initial consultation appointment. Many firms will offer fixed fees but shop around to find out how much time you will get to spend with your chosen solicitor within that initial call. At Neves, we tend to find that offering a one hour initial fixed fee gives our clients just about the right amount of time to run through their circumstances and get an initial steer as to what their options are moving forwards.
If you find yourself needing to consult a family professional, feel free to get in touch with a member of our team. Call 0330 0945 500, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our Contact Form and we'll get back to you.